[SDL] Continuing to need a Mac OS X developer to maintain Tux Paint (OS X 10.11 El Capitan problems)

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Sep 29 11:36:15 PDT 2016

It's fall in the northern hemisphere, and school is back in session.
Over the summer, it seems many school's IT depts updated their
Macs to newer versions of OS X (e.g., El Capitan), and I'm getting
another rash of complaints about Tux Paint not working right.

Nothing about Tux Paint changed, but apparently we need to fix
something.  I'm _still_ in search of someone who can step in and
join the project (it's open source, GPL'd, and loosely/informally
organized) as the Mac OS X (or I guess now "macOS"?) maintainer.

This would involve tasks like:

 * figuring out WTF changed in 10.11 that's causing TP to be unusable
   (https://sourceforge.net/p/tuxpaint/bugs/206/)

 * building and testing, based on what's in CVS (or I guess we're
   moving to a git repo these days?)

 * potentially helping with the libSDL 1.2 -> 2.x migration

 * building and testing, based on beta releases (source tarballs)

 * building, based on final official releases (source tarballs, again),
   which I'll then post to the project's file hosting, and announce!

See below for lots of frustrating context.

BTW, if anyone has an ego about Macs being so great, etc. etc.,
you may be interested to know Tux Paint builds and works fine on
Windows 95 through Windows 10, and packages are maintained as part
of Debian and Ubuntu Linux.  Come prove how great Macs are by
getting Tux Paint to run on them, too!  ;)

-bill!

--
-bill!
Sent from my computer