[SDL] strange situation installing SDL

bilsch01 king621 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 28 05:54:33 PDT 2016

Using 32-bit Ubuntu 14.04 and installing SDL2-2.0.4 from source.   The SDL libraries were installed in /usr/local/lib but at runtime my SDL program cant find the shared library libSDL2-2.0.so.0.  I ran STRACE and found that the program searches in several directories for the shared library but doesn't find it anywhere.  One of the paths searched is /usr/lib, so I copied the library there and the program runs fine.  QUESTION: why does SDL install to a directory that is not searched?

TIA.     Bill S.