[SDL] changing display resolution using SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN with multiple displays not working on mac OS X (el capitan) ?

Kai Sterker kai.sterker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 05:11:53 PDT 2016

Have never tried multiple windows fullscreen on multiple monitors, but one
thing that sticks out immediately is you using the
SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP flag. This will not change resolution, but
always keep current desktop resolution. At the very least, you'd want to
use SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN instead.

See https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_WindowFlags

Kai

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 1:41 PM, jeroen clarysse <jeroen.clarysse at telenet.be>
wrote:

> hi all,
>
> using THREE monitors, and trying to create two SDL_windows like this :
>
>         int display_main_num = 1;
>         int display_2nd_num = 2;
>
>         m_main_window_w = 1024;
>         m_main_window_h = 768;
>         m_2nd_window_w = 1024;
>         m_2nd_window_h = 768;
>
>         m_main_window = SDL_CreateWindow("Main
window",SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_main_num),SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_main_num),m_main_window_w,m_main_window_h,SDL_WINDOW_SHOWN|SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP);
>         m_main_renderer = SDL_CreateRenderer(m_main_window, -1,
SDL_RENDERER_SOFTWARE);

>         m_2nd_window = SDL_CreateWindow("2nd
window",SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_2nd_num),SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_2nd_num),m_2nd_window_w,m_2nd_window_h,SDL_WINDOW_SHOWN|SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP);
>         m_2nd_renderer = SDL_CreateRenderer(m_2nd_window, -1,
SDL_RENDERER_SOFTWARE);

> this works nicely, but these call don't change resolutions yet. However,
when I change the flags SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP to
SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN, SDL is supposed to change the resolution of both
monitors to 1024 x 768. A lot happens on the screen : flickering windows,
typical macos fullscreen resizing animation, flashing menu bar, …  but the
whole function stays stuck in he first CreateWindow() call

> after I click around a bit, the code continues, but the windows are NOT
fullscreen.

> has anyone succeeded in using multiple displays WITH resolution changes ?
>

> I also tried with using only ONE display resolution and leaving the other
at desktop res, but even that didn’t work