[SDL] Geeonx GUI library for LINUX and SDL 1.2

j_post j_post at pacbell.net
Sun Sep 25 12:12:23 PDT 2016

On Sunday 25 September 2016 09:34:15 Jonathan Dearborn wrote:
> Unfortunately, no nation's economy has figured out how to properly
> compensate or encourage open source contributions.

People don't generally do open source for financial gain. The compensation
received is less tangible than money, but it many ways more rewarding. The
true measure of one's software skills is in having one's work widely accepted
by the community of users.

I began writing FOSS decades ago as a means of paying forward the value of the
free software I use. Small payback for the value I'd received, but one does
what one can.

On the other hand, there sometimes is a financial reward. I've received
unsolicited gifts of "thank you" money ranging from $10 to $600 for my work. I
also received thousands of dollars worth of hardware for free to enable me to
write FOSS to work with said hardware.

And the capstone of it all was the offer to buy stock pre-IPO in a well-known
company (not Microsoft) because of the FOSS I'd written. (In a supreme fit of
irony, said stock was sold not long ago and my now ex-wife received $65,000 as
a result of the work she criticized as "working for free". Some people, hey?)

But perhaps of most importance to those like the OP is that many companies
these days prefer to hire those who've done successful FOSS. If you're good at
it, the doors are wide open in the job market.

Jeff