[SDL] configure doesn't find libpulse-simple

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 23:57:57 PDT 2016

On 9/24/16, Spencer Parkin <spencertparkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> It's midnight and I'm ready to give up (and I'm going to be so groggy at
> church tomorrow), but before I do, I'm going to try the mailing list...
>
> On Unbuntu, using "sudo apt install libsdl-2.2.0-0" appears to install
> something, but I have no idea what.  No headers or library files for SDL
> can be found after running this command, so I resorted to trying to compile
> SDL myself.  This appeared to work, but my application could never open an
> audio device.  After doing some research, I believe the problem is that
> there are no useful audio-backends compiled into SDL.  To confirm this, I
> compiled one of the test programs that enumerated the backends (drivers)
> and sure enough, "pulse", "ogg", "alsa", etc., are all missing from the
> list.  So I re-ran the configure script and checked the output and found
> that it couldn't detect the libraries for these lower-level audio drivers.
> Taking "libpulse-simple" as an example, I found this in my
> "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/" directory, but it's still not detected.
> Oddly, I can't confirm the installation with "pkg-config --listall | grep
> pulse".  Running "autoreconf", whatever that does, doesn't help either.
>
> I'm at a loss.  I wouldn't bother with compiling SDL if I could just
> install it.  Is SDL a dead project?  Does the SDL development team support
> Ubuntu?
>
> Thanks,
> --Sp

If using package management, you probably need to install the -dev
versions of SDL also. The one you installed only installs the dynamic
library. The dev package also installs the headers. This is not SDL
specific, but a general convention of how package management works on
Linux.

If you are building from source, you need to make sure you installed
all the -dev packages for all the libraries SDL wants, otherwise the
configure system will not find anything and not build those
components.

In the SDL source, read the docs/README-linux.md. It has explicit
instructions about which packages you should install for Ubuntu.

-Eric