[SDL] configure doesn't find libpulse-simple

Spencer Parkin spencertparkin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 23:07:58 PDT 2016

Hi.

It's midnight and I'm ready to give up (and I'm going to be so groggy at
church tomorrow), but before I do, I'm going to try the mailing list...

On Unbuntu, using "sudo apt install libsdl-2.2.0-0" appears to install
something, but I have no idea what.  No headers or library files for SDL
can be found after running this command, so I resorted to trying to compile
SDL myself.  This appeared to work, but my application could never open an
audio device.  After doing some research, I believe the problem is that
there are no useful audio-backends compiled into SDL.  To confirm this, I
compiled one of the test programs that enumerated the backends (drivers)
and sure enough, "pulse", "ogg", "alsa", etc., are all missing from the
list.  So I re-ran the configure script and checked the output and found
that it couldn't detect the libraries for these lower-level audio drivers.
Taking "libpulse-simple" as an example, I found this in my
"/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/" directory, but it's still not detected.
Oddly, I can't confirm the installation with "pkg-config --listall | grep
pulse".  Running "autoreconf", whatever that does, doesn't help either.

I'm at a loss.  I wouldn't bother with compiling SDL if I could just
install it.  Is SDL a dead project?  Does the SDL development team support
Ubuntu?

Thanks,
--Sp