[SDL] Is it forbidden to run SDL apps from X11 on the Pi?

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 15:37:25 PDT 2016

> Is there no way to make SDL apps cooperate nicely with X11? If there isn't,
> I think it should *really*
> be mentioned in the README that running SDL apps from X11 can have
> disastrous consequences because
> mouse clicks are forwarded to the desktop without the user noticing because
> the whole display is
> filled by the SDL app...

As I mentioned earlier in the other thread, if this really is
important for you, you should try the official experimental OpenGL
driver for Pi.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/another-new-raspbian-release/

That driver is designed to address all the issues you are concerned
about. (Caveat: it doesn't address the memory consumption requirements
that Gabriel was concerned about.)

Since nobody else has tried it yet and reported back, we'd all be
interested in hearing the details of how it works.

-Eric