[SDL] Is it forbidden to run SDL apps from X11 on the Pi?

Gabriel Jacobo gabomdq at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 07:16:18 PDT 2016

I made the RPi backend, it's designed to run without X11, since X11
consumes resources which were scarse on the original hardware, and working
under the assumption that given SDL already supports X11 if you wanted to
run apps under X11 you could just use the X11 video backend (which in
practice may or may not work, I've never tried).

The RPi backend accesses the hardware drivers and kernel services directly,
so I never expected it to play well with another app that does the same
thing (namely, X11). Is it impossible to achieve? No idea. If you care
about this, I encourage you to try it out, document what you find out and
submit a patch for the README so the community can benefit from your
experience.

Gabriel.

> (I think this deserves its own thread because it's quite important IMHO.)
>
> So yesterday, Gabriel Jacobo made the following remark: "...and also,
> don't be running X11 on the RPi
> when you try your apps." Is this really true? There is no word about it in
> the README. It only says:
> "Works without X11" but not "ONLY works without X11"...
>
> I've tried to run my apps from X11 and they work but there is the problem
> that all mouse clicks are
> forwarded to the desktop below my fullscreen display which could
> potentially have disastrous consequences
> because the user could accidentally mess up his whole system because
> clicks go through to the desktop
> without the user realizing this, e.g. it could happen that files are
> deleted or moved, programs started,
> etc. A lot of damage is imaginable here.
>
> So it looks like it would be wise to run SDL apps without X11. On the
> other hand, from a user's point
> of view, it is quite ugly if SDL apps aren't usable from X11. For normal
> users it's a real hassle to
> be forced to log out of X11 and start SDL apps from a barebones console.
>
> Is there no way to make SDL apps cooperate nicely with X11? If there
> isn't, I think it should *really*
> be mentioned in the README that running SDL apps from X11 can have
> disastrous consequences because
> mouse clicks are forwarded to the desktop without the user noticing
> because the whole display is
> filled by the SDL app...
>
> --
> Best regards,