[SDL] Is it forbidden to run SDL apps from X11 on the Pi?

Andreas Falkenhahn andreas at falkenhahn.com
Wed Sep 14 07:02:11 PDT 2016

(I think this deserves its own thread because it's quite important IMHO.)

So yesterday, Gabriel Jacobo made the following remark: "...and also, don't be running X11 on the RPi
when you try your apps." Is this really true? There is no word about it in the README. It only says:
"Works without X11" but not "ONLY works without X11"...

I've tried to run my apps from X11 and they work but there is the problem that all mouse clicks are
forwarded to the desktop below my fullscreen display which could potentially have disastrous consequences
because the user could accidentally mess up his whole system because clicks go through to the desktop
without the user realizing this, e.g. it could happen that files are deleted or moved, programs started,
etc. A lot of damage is imaginable here.

So it looks like it would be wise to run SDL apps without X11. On the other hand, from a user's point
of view, it is quite ugly if SDL apps aren't usable from X11. For normal users it's a real hassle to
be forced to log out of X11 and start SDL apps from a barebones console.

Is there no way to make SDL apps cooperate nicely with X11? If there isn't, I think it should *really*
be mentioned in the README that running SDL apps from X11 can have disastrous consequences because
mouse clicks are forwarded to the desktop without the user noticing because the whole display is
filled by the SDL app...

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                          mailto:andreas at falkenhahn.com