[SDL] Failed to open vchiq device on RPi

Gabriel Jacobo gabomdq at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 19:58:49 PDT 2016

I can confirm you should disable those if you happen to have the
corresponding dev headers installed, and most certainly disable X11 if you
want to avoid headaches. When configure ends you should only see the
Raspberry pi video driver (and the dummy one) for the most painless
experience...and also, don't be running X11 on the RPi when you try your
apps :)

> Although I agree with you, Sam's buildbot script seems to indicate that
> maybe you do need those extra configure options; https://hg.libsdl.
> org/SDL/file/default/build-scripts/raspberrypi-buildbot.sh#l44
>
> Sam, if you have a free minute this weekend, can you confirm or deny this?
>
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Eric Wing <ewmailing at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> (Sorry, forgot to include list.)
>>
>> > in order to make it work. Why does SDL select the X11 driver as the
>> > default driver when building for the Pi when it obviously doesn't
>> > work? This should really be fixed and there should be a word about
>> > it in the readme. Currently, there is none. There are several
>> > pages about cross-compiling for the Pi but the essentials are missing
>> > it seems :(
>>
>> I don't remember, but I do remember seeing multiple sources
>> recommending to disable X11 when building SDL. This avoids most
>> problems and doesn't require any changes to your project code like
>> adding SDL_VideoInit("RPI");
>>
>> In general, the problem with building on Pi is that it looks just like
>> any other Linux system from a build process perspective. Linux
>> Standard Base is the easiest way to start making these queries, but
>> Raspbian doesn't install LSB. Something still could be done, but most
>> I'm sure nobody felt like doing it. And since the Pi foundation is
>> trying to make it work like any regular Linux desktop, this mechanism
>> will ultimately conflict with that.

>> > I better first get the RPI driver working correctly here before
>> > tackling even more experimental stuff... what else can I try to
>> > get input working?
>> >

>> So, that program I sent you at the beginning, does input work there?
>> Can you take that libSDL that I shipped and use it with your program
>> instead of the one I built? Does input work?
>>
>> If mine works, you still probably have a build configuration issue.
>>
>> -Eric

Gabriel.