[SDL] Failed to open vchiq device on RPi

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 18:32:40 PDT 2016

(Sorry, forgot to include list.)

> in order to make it work. Why does SDL select the X11 driver as the
> default driver when building for the Pi when it obviously doesn't
> work? This should really be fixed and there should be a word about
> it in the readme. Currently, there is none. There are several
> pages about cross-compiling for the Pi but the essentials are missing
> it seems :(

I don't remember, but I do remember seeing multiple sources
recommending to disable X11 when building SDL. This avoids most
problems and doesn't require any changes to your project code like
adding SDL_VideoInit("RPI");

In general, the problem with building on Pi is that it looks just like
any other Linux system from a build process perspective. Linux
Standard Base is the easiest way to start making these queries, but
Raspbian doesn't install LSB. Something still could be done, but most
I'm sure nobody felt like doing it. And since the Pi foundation is
trying to make it work like any regular Linux desktop, this mechanism
will ultimately conflict with that.

>> If you install and enable this driver, and configure SDL
>> appropriately, maybe you can get this to work. I don't know what's
>> actually involved to make this work. I would like to hear your results
>> and the procedure for making this work.
>
> I better first get the RPI driver working correctly here before
> tackling even more experimental stuff... what else can I try to
> get input working?

So, that program I sent you at the beginning, does input work there?
Can you take that libSDL that I shipped and use it with your program
instead of the one I built? Does input work?

If mine works, you still probably have a build configuration issue.

-Eric