[SDL] hg #7991 broke DOSBox on OS X

Dominus domiman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 14:24:07 PDT 2016

Commit 7991 broke DOSBox on OS X.

DOSBox still uses SDL 1.2 and I'm providing daily snapshots for a while now and thus have been dependent on the post SDL 1.2.15 fixes.

DOSBox usually uses a config file in ~/Library/Preferences but if you place a config named dosbox.conf in the same folder as the app bundle, DOSBox will use that config instead.

I only just today realized that this is no longer working and traced it back to revision 7991.

So a built of SDL 1.2 branch before rev 7991 allows DOSBox to launch with the in-same-folder config on OS X 10.6 - 10.12 (tested on VMs of 10.6, 10.8, 10.9 and real 10.12 machine).

Still correctly working DOSBox https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7737184/Dosbox/DOSBox-0.74-1.dmg and my broken SVN built at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7737184/Dosbox/Dosbox-Snapshot-bad.dmg

A test config is a plain text file, must be named dosbox.conf and can just have these two lines:
[autoexec]
FOOBAR

(it will say illegal command FOOBAR when launched)

Now I know... SDL 1.2 end of life... etc... but this is annoying :(