[SDL] nanogui fork with SDL2

actsl tkorrovi at mail.com
Tue Sep 6 02:19:17 PDT 2016

dalerank wrote:
> I added fork of nanogui-sdl without depenccies here https://github.com/dalerank/nngui , it work with sdl2/glfw3 also i want ask you some questions?
> 1. do you think nngui good for develop, or continues nanogui-sdl with stuff?

This is a GUI for OpenGL that works together with SDL2, it is not directly for SDL2. I'm sorry, i didn't try it and don't know how well it works. I counted 20525 lines of code, but got an error about nngui_resources.cpp "Sorry about that, but we can’t show files that are this big right now", i understand this is only a C file for resources though. But kiss_sdl is only 2437 lines of code. I think it is more advanced than mine, not sure though whether in every respect, like in the example i see no scrollbars.

I think it is a great work done and great that it is made available for people for free. Please don't understand me wrongly though, but i think it's very important to describe the features well, so that the users know better what the different widget toolkits are. It is said to be "minimalistic" in GitHub, but it is much more complex than mine, so not sure whether or how it is minimalistic. I mean, because the widget toolkits used to be complex, for advanced users it may be not difficult to see what one or another is about, but for beginners who should decide what widget toolkit they would start to use, this may be an impossible task, when the features are not well described.

So again, please don't understand me wrongly, i really appreciate your work, and thank you for posting this. And good luck to you in open source development, i really hope that this would give you at least some benefit, even if you cannot get for it a single piece of bread, and spread a butter on it. This is in what we are together i think, and god help us this will not cause us to be against each other.

kiss_sdl - Simple generic GUI widget toolkit for SDL2 https://github.com/actsl/kiss_sdl