[SDL] Guisan - C++ SDL2 toolkit

Alexander von Gluck IV kallisti5 at unixzen.com
Sat Sep 3 12:50:34 PDT 2016

September 3 2016 2:42 PM, "actsl"  wrote:
Great, finally a toolkit that works with SDL2, a lot of work for sure, thank you for offering it for free to people.

It looks that it is not directly for SDL2 though, but uses OpenGL which works together with SDL.

Sorry, i didn't try to use it and cannot say anything about how well it works, or how easily changeable it is. By somewhat looking at the code, it looked like it is some type of retained GUI, not a type of immediate GUI like my widget toolkit (kiss_sdl).

It looks like that it has almost all the same widgets as my widget toolkit, i didn't see an entry box though. It is written in C++, mine is written in C.

But it is a question what means simple. I counted 28362 lines of code in your toolkit, but in my widget toolkit there are only 2437 lines of code, thus your toolkit is 12 times more complex than mine.
Neat? Neat.. i'm going with neat.

Guichan's API pre-dates all of us (2004), and Guisan started in 2014.

How did this so quickly spiral into "my dad can beat up your dad?"
Anyway, the OpenGL support is optional and not a requirement.

Quite a few projects use Guichan, and Guisan can help those projects
move to SDL2 without much redesign.

 -- Alex