[SDL] Failed to open vchiq device on RPi

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 11:06:14 PDT 2016

On 9/2/16, Andreas Falkenhahn <andreas at falkenhahn.com> wrote:
> On 01.09.2016 at 20:43 Eric Wing wrote:
>
>> On 9/1/16, Andreas Falkenhahn <andreas at falkenhahn.com> wrote:
>>> I've compiled SDL 2.0.4 on my Raspberry Pi 2 (running Raspbian) and
>>> followed
>>> all
>>> the instructions in docs/README-raspberrypi.md. However, it doesn't work.
>>> always
>>> get the following error:
>
>>>     * failed to open vchiq device
>
>>> I've googled the error and tried all the solutions I could find (e.g.
>>> doing
>>> "sudo chmod 777 /dev/vchiq" or adding user pi to the video group by
>>> doing
>>> "sudo usermod -a -G video pi") but nothing helped. I still get the
>>> error.
>
>>> What is causing this and how can I fix this?
>

>> I'm assuming you are using Raspbian Jessie.
>
> I'm still on Wheezy but AFAIR that should be ok.
>
>> I don't remember having to do anything special on my Pi that required
>> privileged access (besides cranking up the amount of GPU memory). But
>> I have a pretty boring Pi setup. (Just the basic with a HDMI into a
>> TV. No cameras or touch screen, etc.)
>
>> Does my demo program work for you?
>> http://playcontrol.net/tempdownload/BlurrrBinaries/FlappyBlurrrC-0.1.1-Raspbian.tar.gz
>
> Yes, it works. What could be the reason that my build doesn't work?
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  Andreas Falkenhahn
> mailto:andreas at falkenhahn.com

Could be a thousand things, but my first guess is you installed a
bunch of stuff on your system, which in turn changes SDL's automatic
dependency phase in configure or whatever, and SDL builds with
different features which may not work or may require extra
permissions. You may need to vette every build option when you build
SDL. (For example, I recall a touch library to be problematic and I
think I disabled it explicitly.)

Or you could use Blurrr :)

FYI, the demo program is from a new SDK I'm developing, centered
around SDL. One of the things Blurrr offers is shipping prebuilt
libraries vetted to work for distribution on multiple platforms,
saving you from this stuff. Blurrr tries to give you a
download-and-go, non-root, reproducible way of developing for
cross-platform, so you can focus on your game instead of building
dependencies and managing different build systems on every platform.

https://blurrrsdk.com

Thanks,
Eric