[SDL] Failed to open vchiq device on RPi

Andreas Falkenhahn andreas at falkenhahn.com
Thu Sep 1 09:33:01 PDT 2016

I've compiled SDL 2.0.4 on my Raspberry Pi 2 (running Raspbian) and followed all
the instructions in docs/README-raspberrypi.md. However, it doesn't work. I always
get the following error:

    * failed to open vchiq device

I've googled the error and tried all the solutions I could find (e.g. doing a
"sudo chmod 777 /dev/vchiq" or adding user pi to the video group by doing
"sudo usermod -a -G video pi") but nothing helped. I still get the error.

What is causing this and how can I fix this?

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                          mailto:andreas at falkenhahn.com