[SDL] SDL_SetWindowBrightness is not working!

Tch0c damien.lloyd21 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 08:44:19 PST 2016

I'm a developer but also a gamer. I've played games that use SDL2 and I am convinced that there's a bug with SDL_SetWindowBrightness which I myself have witnessed. In games such as Left for Dead 2 or Portal 2, both of which use SDL2, the brightness setting has no effect at all. As a developer, I program with SDL2 and OpenGL. The said function has NO effect on the brightness of the display. I have a model rendered and calling the function thus:

Code:

SDL_SetWindowBrightness(window, 0.0); // Completely dark

// or

SDL_SetWindowBrightness(window, 1.0); // bright

Still renders the model exactly as-is with no difference whatsoever.

Here's the rendered output with brightness at 0.0:

[Image: http://oi64.tinypic.com/33wsao1.jpg ]

and the rendered output with brightness at 1.0:

[Image: http://oi64.tinypic.com/33wsao1.jpg ]

To be honest with you the outputs are so alike it makes no difference which is which!

As you can see I'm using Ubuntu 15.10 64-bit on an Intel HD 5500 with OpenGL 3.3.

Is it a case that I'm not using the function correctly, or is there a bug that needs to be squashed?