[SDL] SDL 1.2 build still broken on Macos X 10.9 one year later.

Doug douglas.linder at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 18:30:01 PDT 2014

> I'm not sure why can't the dynamic library just be included inside the
bundle?

You have to setup the @rpath correctly using install_name_tool for that to
work (which is trivial, but not obvious; it breaks 'cross platform
builds').

Using a statically linked sdl library is easier I suppose...

> The BEST solution is to have SDL's standard distribution on OS X be as a
framework

Please don't.

I'd strongly recommend shipping the sdl dylib and all it's child
dependencies as part of the application bundle; particular the SDL_foo*
libraries with all their dependencies. Application bundles are specifically
designed to allow this to work.

I know that's somewhat counter to the 'use system libraries' approach, but
on most unix systems installing an application doesn't cause the
application to try to write it's own copies of libraries into /lib/ :P

Lots of things try to install SDL as a framework as part of their
installation; and extremely irritatingly they will consistently break each
other in my experience.

~
Doug.