[SDL] SDL 1.2 build still broken on Macos X 10.9 one year later.

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Wed Sep 10 15:31:46 PDT 2014

> I'd suggest that a 1.2.16 or a 1.2.15.1 is warranted just because there
> are a lot of binary-only games out there that shouldn't just break like
> that.  Sadly because of SDLmain there's just not a whole lot that can be
> done about the Finder issue, save perhaps having SDL no longer care
> about Finder, which is somewhat difficult.

SDL doesn't care, it only uses it to set the current working directory
to your game's installation directory (by default, apps launched by the
Finder have a cwd of "/"). So if a game expects the cwd to be its
install directory, it's broken and needs to be rebuilt with a newer SDL
(and better yet, be fixed to not depend on this behavior). So it's not a
total disaster, but it's definitely a real world scenario.

> Another is that the README says to static link against SDL

Huh, that's terrible advice for LGPL'd code.

--ryan.