[SDL] texture: what renderer? what conditions on size?

Alex Szpakowski aszpakowski at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 09:53:06 PDT 2014

Realistically you can pretty much rely on at least 2048x2048-sized textures being supported (or 8192x8192 if you only target GL3/DX10+ era hardware.)

Here are some stats:
http://feedback.wildfiregames.com/report/opengl/feature/GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE
https://developer.apple.com/opengl/capabilities/GLInfo_1075.html

The SDL_GetRendererInfo function will fill in a struct which contains ‘max_texture_width’ and ‘max_texture_height’ members, if you want to know the values at runtime.