[SDL] SDL 1.2 build still broken on Macos X 10.9 one year later.

T. Joseph Carter tjcarter at spiritsubstance.com
Tue Sep 9 21:22:10 PDT 2014

I'd suggest that a 1.2.16 or a 1.2.15.1 is warranted just because
there are a lot of binary-only games out there that shouldn't just
break like that.  Sadly because of SDLmain there's just not a whole
lot that can be done about the Finder issue, save perhaps having SDL
no longer care about Finder, which is somewhat difficult.

Another is that the README says to static link against SDL…  That's
not ideal at all.  The BEST solution is to have SDL's standard
distribution on OS X be as a framework, with a script to produce
compatibility symlinks if necessary for some reason (such as the
inability to use pkgconfig/sdl-config or to use a private framework
in a non-bundle application for testing or somesuch…)

I'm sure someone out there still has a need for SDL to run under X11
on a Mac to use it embedded into some X toolkit as a subwindow object
or … something, but I'd argue that if you need to do something like
that and you have to jump through enough hoops already that the extra
step involves is fairly minor.

The only possible problem I see is if someone somehow has a
Darwin-based system whose buildsystem cannot understand and use
frameworks.  I don't even know if that's possible.  I kind of doubt
it.  Make the leap!  ;)  That's extra work for those of us using
autoconf or cmake as build tools, but that's not exactly a new
problem and the world could use a couple more real-world working
examples of a suitable solution anyway.  ;)

Joseph