[SDL] Surface vs Texture - optimal usage

Jonas Kulla nyocurio at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 15:36:18 PDT 2013

2013/10/21 mattbentley <mattreecebentley at gmail.com>

> Which suggests that sprite-batching for small textures is negligibly more
> performant, but for large textures makes a huge difference.
> Is it possible to do sprite-batching under SDL?
> Also, I'm a little confused, why would making multiple copies from the
> same texture be more performant than multiple copies from multiple
> textures? Surely if they're all in hardware memory at the same time it
> shouldn't make a difference?

I don't think it's possible in SDL's limited render subsystem, you'd have
to use OpenGL
directly. Also, I think you have misunderstood something. The point is to
use the same
texture for _all_ sprites so they share one. Ideally, you want to issue as
little draw calls
(or gl calls in general) as possible, while switching textures as little as
possible.