[SDL] Problem with thread naming exception in windows

Tony Park tony at park-hagiwara.net
Tue Oct 1 23:21:09 PDT 2013

Hi,

We am moving towards release of our first SDL2 project but I have run into a problem with the windows release build. The  release build runs under a debugger but fails to run normally. I checked the log files and an exception is thrown - google tells me this is not a real exception but a bit of magic to allow applications to name threads for debugging purposes. Applications should be ignoring this exception - but unfortunately mine isn't.

I can work around the problem by removing all the code from SDL_SYS_SetupThread() with #if(0). If I do this and rebuild SDL2.dll, my application runs fine, but obviously I'd rather not release with a custom version of SDL2. Is there a better solution to this problem?

I am running Windows 7 64 bit, Visual Studio Express 2012, building a 32 bit application.

Regards

Tony