[SDL] SDL_crash -- fatal error catching with user callback

Nathaniel J Fries nfries88 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 30 21:21:12 PDT 2013

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> Fwiw, Nathaniel, I messed around with building something like this a few
> years ago, just in time for Google Breakpad to show up and make it
> irrelevant. It's been stripped for parts and used for other projects, so
> it wasn't a complete waste, but you might as well see if there's
> anything worth stealing, too:
>
> http://hg.icculus.org/icculus/mojocrash/
>
> The README is pretty detailed for what I was trying to accomplish here:
>
> http://hg.icculus.org/icculus/mojocrash/file/def285643924/README.txt
>
> --ryan.

Was not aware of this!

I was aware of breakpad, but...
1) It's C++, so C purists (like some of the guys I've been deving with lately) won't touch it.
2) It's a rather large program, which isn't as much of an issue now as it used to be, but still matters to some people.
3) It's designed to run in a separate process (why waste the precious resources? Especially on an embedded system such as Android or iOS).
4) It only supports writing minidump AFAIK, and I'm not a fan.
5) It won't work for Windows 2000, which might not be used much anymore, but is still supported in MSDN, and so should still be supported by new software when possible (maybe SDL itself doesn't even support Windows 2000, though).

Of course, Breakpad has support for platforms I've never even touched or researched (like Solaris and ARM), so it is likely far more portable than anything I'm going to write and test on my own for SDL_Crash.

I will certainly see if there's anything useful I can borrow from MojoCrash! I guess I probably should've checked your repository first anyway, it's got all sorts of useful stuff.

Nate Fries