[SDL] CMake gurus...

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 13:15:19 PDT 2013

> Pros:
> * ?
- One file to rule all projects!
- parallel builds
- colorized output :)

> Cons:
> * Additional build dependency on all platforms
That would be in substitution of auto tools so a 'different' rather
than 'additional

> * Not as well supported in debian build environment
Umh?

> * Not as easy to change configuration parameters
That's the only limitation I see but as a workaround one could always
grep for OPTION on the main cmakelists

> * Can't pre-generate Visual Studio projects for end users
> * Can't pre-generate Xcode projects for end users
That's a PRO, think how many bugs because of broken projects you are
preventing! Also bundling project file in the repository would
needlessly burn up revisions IMHO

> * Needs additional coding to support build steps and special features of existing projects

Sorry if I sound blunt, but as a user, if you can't handle generating
(simple) project files from cmake, maybe it's better that you stay out
of sdl source code altogether...

Jm2c,
Vittorio