[SDL] CMake gurus...

Sik the hedgehog sik.the.hedgehog at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 03:57:45 PDT 2013

2013/3/25, Jared Maddox <absinthdraco at gmail.com>:
> Having been one of these people, I assure you, there WILL be people
> (especially people trying to learn how to program) who WILL wrestle
> with this simple of a system. They'll get over it, and if they run
> across a well-written document that covers the TRUE BASICS (such as
> WHAT a build-system is, and WHY) then they'll get over it pretty
> quickly. However, they will initially wrestle with it (and having a
> teacher doesn't reliably help, since the skill of a teacher at
> teaching is hit-and-miss on a subject-by-subject level).
>
> Just as importantly, these new programmers are inherently part of the
> "market" for SDL. Therefor, we need to deal with them, even if only by
> including a precompiled copy of CMake with the source-code.

This kind of people is the one that'd rather avoid building from
source altogether (especially something like SDL which is a pretty
large framework). As somebody said before, if you want to catter to
them then providing pre-built binaries is the only reasonable option.

> The "problem" is the lack of a GOOD cross-platform STANDARD
> configure-equivalent. For my tastes such a thing would be a
> logic-language (somewhat like make), but at the end of the day there
> doesn't seem to be anything both standard and "clean" enough to avoid
> stepping on another platform's toes (make, for example, is not what I
> would want to use, though it's massively closer than ANYTHING "macro
> language").

Rather than a cross-platform configure standard I'd like a makefile
standard (to the point of making configure redundant in the first
place), really, but only the most basic subset fall under that
category.