[SDL] CMake gurus...

Forest Hale havoc at ghdigital.com
Sat Mar 23 21:04:31 PDT 2013

I admit my solution in my projects is a hand-rolled Makefile that adapts to all manner of situations (and yes, essentially implements configure functionality) such as mingw (both native and
cross-compiled)/Mac OSX/Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris, and then a set of Visual Studio projects and an xcode project that tend to lag behind badly.

I've found cmake very unwieldy as a "user" personally, it scares me each time I have to deal with a lib using cmake, it's not well explained (even by its own documentation), the workflow of building
something with cmake is not readily obvious to a non-believer as it were.

Plenty of horror stories with autotools as well and I'd never recommend it either.

It seems that there's a lot of demand for something that just generates sensible VS projects, XCode projects, and a gmake Makefile for various uses, but I'm not sure that cmake set out to be that
something.