[SDL] CMake gurus...

Jared Maddox absinthdraco at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 18:58:39 PDT 2013

> Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 21:08:12 -0300
> From: Sik the hedgehog <sik.the.hedgehog at gmail.com>
> To: SDL Development List <sdl at lists.libsdl.org>
> Subject: Re: [SDL] CMake gurus...
>
> I think he meant that CMake makes the need for said projects redundant
> in the first place (though it probably also isn't a suitable tool for
> making them).
>
> Let's get this out of the way quickly: what are the pre-made projects
> needed for?

They're needed for people that want to compile SDL, but don't want to
deal with a lot of extra cruft. Not having tried compiling it recently
I can't guess whether it's possible to compile SDL 2 without
downloading lots of dependencies, but I can sympathize with the desire
itself.

Ideally we would use something make-ish that was generic enough to act
as both a build system, AND a configure system, but I don't recall any
logic languages being standard installs anywhere.

I suppose SDL could switch to a makefile that generates either a
another makefile, or a Visual Studio project, depending on arguments,
but that strikes me as... insane.