[SDL] Looking for GSOC mentors

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 02:10:11 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:23 AM, Andreas Schiffler
<aschiffler at ferzkopp.net>wrote:

> Hi SDLers,
>
> this year I'll be preparing the Google Summer of Code 2013 application for
> SDL.
>
> To help with this effort, I am looking for a few additional mentors.
> Mentors would be expected to tentatively commit to GSOC 2013 by the end of
> this week and should also supply a project idea which will be posted and
> submitted with the application. If SDL gets accepted (April 8th), mentors
> would need to commit to participate in student selection (April-May) as
> well as mentoring (June-September) and final evaluations. Mentors don't get
> paid (students do), but can apply to attend the mentor summit in Mountain
> View (October) which paid for by Google and a lot of fun.
>
> Mentors should have experience with coding and SDL, have fixed a bug or
> submitted a patch (preferably accepted), be sociable within the FOSS
> community and able to help students succeed. Prospective mentors, keep in
> mind that with the SDL 2.0 release pending, the theme of project ideas this
> year should be less about fancy new features but more around quality,
> usability and stabilization within the SDL 2.0 codebase (i.e. a visual
> testing, Cmake builds, game examples, etc.). Also note that you'd be
> expected to be able to take a lead mentoring role should your proposed idea
> find a matching student.
>
> Below are a few references about GSOC and mentoring. If anyone on this
> list is interested, please drop me a direct email.
>
> Thanks,
> Andreas

It's great that SDL is participating in GSoC again! SDL vouched for
Hedgewars the first time it applied and I am always grateful for that.
After a two year experience, I must say is a great opportunity for mentors
and students together and the summit is a lot of fun indeed!
If you've got some experience with SDL and you are not mentoring another
project, please lend a hand!

Andreas, do you have a list of possible project ideas already or are you
looking for a few inputs as well?
Best,
Vittorio