[SDL] odd crash with SDL2

Scott Percival moralrecordings at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 01:58:23 PDT 2013

It's pretty tricky, I think you might be right suspecting that OpenGL
is responsible.

The graphics chip you mentioned is a laptop variant (for some reason
NVIDIA refuse to support these properly in their Windows driver
updates), and pretty old (equivalent to the Geforce Go 7300, I have a
test machine with that one and it only works with the "legacy" driver
under Linux). Probably worth getting the full details from dxdiag just
for some more information (e.g. chip type, driver version, driver
date).

You could easily find out what bit of SDL is tripping up with a debug
build of the game/libSDL2 with just a backtrace from gdb, but
unfortunately this'd require convincing the user to get a portable
MinGW toolchain and have a go at building/debugging it. Or you could
try instrumenting with something like Breakpad which generates
portable stack dumps - http://code.google.com/p/google-breakpad , but
it looks like complete overkill for something like this.

(btw, worth mentioning that SDL_GL_SetAttribute only has an effect if
you call it before creating a window, you should move that block up
before SDL_CreateWindow)