[SDL] SDL2_mixer & ogg vorbis file for android. Problems in IC

Sik the hedgehog sik.the.hedgehog at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 09:42:19 PDT 2013

Yeah, there's the issue that phones usually don't support hardware
accelerated Vorbis so they're horribly slow at that. You'll end up
with a scratchy sound because it can't keep up with the streaming (so
there are gaps in the buffer all the time).

If using Tremor doesn't fix it for you may want to consider other
alternatives. I suppose you're probably avoiding the hardware
accelerated formats as they're usually patented... An alternative
would be to decompress the entire Vorbis data in RAM, and if you need
to save space use DPCM, ADPCM or something like that (there's a Sega
Genesis sound engine called TMSE that can decompress two ADPCM streams
at 22KHz simultaneously on the 3.58MHz Z80, to give you an idea of how
lightweight are those two algorithms).