[SDL] SDL 2.0 API stabilization

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Tue Mar 5 11:35:06 PST 2013

On 03/05/2013 02:10 PM, Alfred Reynolds wrote:
> I find SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING useful, I have a base engine function that
> turns SDL on and off at the correct point in engine execution, and then
> all the leaf code is free to use SDL as it sees fit. Having each user of
> SDL functionality have to initialize (and de-init) the subsystem they
> want would be much more error prone, the small extra initial startup
> cost is well worth the reliability.

Ok, then let's change it from 0xffff to
(TIMER|AUDIO|VIDEO|JOYSTICK|etc)...this way it stays binary compatible
with exactly what you thought was "everything" when you built your app.
If you upgrade SDL, you might get a new flag added to
SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING, but you can at least control for that.

(and yeah, no cameras in init.  :)  )

--ryan.