[SDL] SDL gesture API

Nicholas Rishel rishel.nick at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 04:08:17 PST 2013

I'm not sure I get your concern. The intent of a gesture library is that it
abstracts away the idea of touch. If you were, for instance, going to use
the system's gesture interface then you can't effectively build your own on
top of it because the touch information you want was hidden in the form of
a simplified set of gesture events instead of touch events.

So, in short, when getting events from the system you would specify whether
you want to receive the OS's gesture events or touch events. If you want to
build your own gesture library, you opt to receive touch events. If you
just want simple, common touch tasks - zoom, scroll, "click" - you opt for
gesture events from the OS.

In SDL I believe that the default is to request touch events, with a flag
to request OS gesture events (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). Once SDL
gets this it is again abstracted to SDL event: either touch events, system
gesture events, or another library gesture events.

Hopefully this clears things up and I haven't provided any misleading
information. <.<''

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 6:47 AM, Sik the hedgehog <sik.the.hedgehog at gmail.com