[SDL] SDL gesture API

Sik the hedgehog sik.the.hedgehog at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 03:11:21 PST 2013

I don't use touch events (I don't even have touch hardware) so I can't
comment about this. And yeah, at first glance, having that as a
separate library indeed makes sense, especially considering all the
kinds of gestures that could be there.

Just a question though: doesn't the operating system handle some
gestures on its own, i.e. it parses the movement and sends an event to
the program with the relevant gesture? Or is that just a
misunderstanding? (or if I'm right, is there any OS where built-in
support for gestures is too lackluster to be worth using?)

I mention this because if the OS handles gestures then a separate
library may have it hard to reuse that functionality directly. Though
maybe it's better to just do everything manually in the long term and
ignore the OS when it comes to gestures (except maybe for retrieving
user settings, but it wouldn't need SDL for that).