[SDL] Joystick Identification [2]

Sam Lantinga slouken at libsdl.org
Tue Nov 13 20:20:00 PST 2012

The initial implementation will be a gamepad layer on top of the existing
SDL joystick API, and will support controllers that look like two-stick, 4
button +random other things gamepads.  The goal is to give the game
developer a contract that if it uses this API, those types of controllers
will have standard events on all supported platforms.

What you're describing is a lofty goal and definitely something useful, and
is something the Khronos working group would love help with:
http://www.khronos.org/streaminput/