[SDL] SDL_CreateWindowFrom

Mason Wheeler masonwheeler at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 05:38:38 PST 2012

Yeah, SDL_CreateWindowFrom should work.  That's what I used to embed a SDL window inside a Delphi widget.

Here's the basic concept:

Create a very simple widget that does as little as possible.  What you needis a rectangular area with a handle of the sort that SDL_CreateWindowFrom expects.  (On Windows, this is a HWND handle.  Not sure about other OSes.)
Your widget should have an event or virtual method that is guaranteed to fire when the OS creates the handle because it needs to draw to the screen.  This is the place where you put the call to SDL_CreateWindowFrom: immediately after the handle has been created.  Likewise, destroy the SDL window immediately before the handle is cleaned up.
Your widget should have an event or virtual method that is guaranteed to fire when the OS needs to repaint it.  Expose this as an event handler so the developer can decide how to repaint properly.

That's the basic concept for creating it.  There's probably more you should do, adding basic texture-management and drawing capabilities into the widget object, but that's what you need to get started.  Here's my implementation, for reference:

http://code.google.com/p/turbu/source/browse/trunk/components/TURBU/sdl_frame.pas