[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Beoran beoran at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 00:47:17 PDT 2011

Wilbefast: that's exactly what I'm getting at. The strength of SDL is the wide array of backends it supports. If you want a game lib that only supports popular HW accelerated backends, then SFML (OpenGL only, IIRC) or Allegro 5 (OpenGL + DirectX, IIRC) will do just fine. No sense in occupying the same market space as those libraries.

As for your reasons to like SFML better, 1) Is amply covered since there are at least 3 c++ free wrappers of SDL, not to mention wrappers in Python, Ruby, Haskell , Scheme, lisp, ... and whatever other language really. That's why it's nice SDL is written in plain c, it's easy to wrap for other languages.  2. Is being solved now, and 3 and 4 are some things we should work on. :)