[SDL] OpenGL 3.2 / SDL 1.3 with OS X Lion

Boouh bidbe at live.fr
Mon Jul 25 22:46:25 PDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to use the SDL 1.3 for 5 days on the new OS of Apple : OS X Lion (10.7). I managed to compile the SDL 1.3 with Xcode but I had to modify the file SDL_cocoavideo.h by replacing :

<SDL/SDL_opengl.h> by <OpenGL/gl.h>

My real problem is that I can’t create an OpenGL 3.2 Core Profile with this new version of the SDL. I tried to create the context like this :

SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_CONTEXT_MAJOR_VERSION, 3);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_CONTEXT_MINOR_VERSION, 2);

But I tried also to give wrong values to see if the SDL catches me an error :

SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_CONTEXT_MAJOR_VERSION, 54);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_CONTEXT_MINOR_VERSION, 2);

But the SDL doesn’t notify me anything at compilation or at launching of the program. And when I try to compile a shader written with GLSL 1.50, the “Shader Compiler” says me that it can’t compile because it doesn’t know the language 1.50 :

version '150' is not supported

I think the SDL doesn’t manage to create an OpenGL 3.2 Core Profile, it creates a 2.1 Profile and it is for this reason that the “Shader Compiler” cannot compile a 1.50 shader.

Is there any solution to force the SDL to create a 3.2 Core Profile ? May be manually or by using an other hidden function ?

Thank you. ^^

PS : Sorry for my English if I do mistakes.