[SDL] Scruffy3D Released! (William Dyce)

Forest Hale havoc at ghdigital.com
Fri Jul 29 06:18:20 PDT 2011

The iOS support in SDL 1.3 seems far more mature than the Android support (currently lacking multitouch for example).

I was recently reading the NVIDIA presentation on porting games to Android (which is a good read, it's on their Developer Center website), and apparently it's possible to entirely avoid Java glue by
using NativeActivity on Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) or above, but there are a few things one can not do with NativeActivity...  And a lot of devices are still on Android 2.2 (Froyo) or earlier.

Seems a bit of a mess on the whole, and I'm not sure that SDL currently complies with all of the requirements for onPause/onStop/onResume/onRestart/focus handling, there are some aspects of mobile dev
that are very unobvious to someone porting from desktop - like the requirement of being able to completely save state and resume later (in a hurry!) so that the user doesn't even know the app was
destroyed in the interim.

That said, I'm liking Android dev.