[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Thu Jul 28 08:58:47 PDT 2011

In my view to have a software-only implementation of rendering functions
- however slow it may be - is actually a good thing as it can serve as a
"reference implementation" for testing other renderers. This years GSoC
student - whom I am mentoring - has made great progress in writing some
tooling to automate and improve the testing of SDL. Although pixel-level
testing will probably not be part of this new framework due to time
constraints, it was originally a goal. Such tests would have to rely on
a software-only simulation (or implementation) to validate the output
(screencapture) of other renderers.

Personally, I would prefer an implementation that is based on a 3D-only
approach with Mesa3D as a software-based failsafe and visual reference
via the Off-screen rendering API (OSMesa - see
http://mesa3d.org/osmesa.html).

--Andreas