[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Tim Angus tim at ngus.net
Thu Jul 28 07:49:59 PDT 2011

On 28/07/2011 15:36, Mason Wheeler wrote:
> If I can't use SDL textures for sprites, I need something else. If I'm not
> using SDL video, I can't use SDL events, because the two are very tightly
> coupled.

That's not the case, you can use events without using the SDL rendering
API. If you're writing an SDL/OpenGL application you're still using the
video subsystem. If you couldn't use events with such an application it
would make SDL rather pointless.

> I also can't use SDL_Image, for obvious reasons.

You can still use SDL_Image if you wanted to. SDL_Image is just a
frontend to various image loaders. It's no problem to buffer an OpenGL
texture from an SDL_Surface or any other decoded image buffer for that
matter.

> My point is, it's ~150 lines of code and requires 10 local variables, 10
> if statements, 5 returns and 4 ifdefs. That's a whole lot of complexity
> required to correctly set up a texture, which I'm really glad to not have
> to deal with or reimplement.

This is a special case though; it's having to do everything in terms of
SDL. If all you want to do is buffer a texture from a memory buffer, you
don't need all that code.