[SDL] Scruffy3D Released!

Brian Barnes ggadwa at charter.net
Thu Jul 28 06:12:16 PDT 2011

On 7/27/2011 11:47 PM, William Dyce wrote:
> Congrats :D
>
> We're likely to port our game SDL to iOS in the near future, after I'm done
> with Android. Don't suppose you'd mind answering a few questions when the
> time comes?
>
> William

No problem!

So far, I haven't really had any trouble, but I've only run on the
simulator.  Compiling SDL 1.3 -> iOS just worked with the trunk.  I
don't use anything but SDL proper, I compile my own libPNG, etc., so
that part might be a problem.  My test app (which test my libraries)
seems to work fine.

The biggest deal was just replacing all the non ES 1 (sticking with ES 1
for now as it more closely resembles my code as dim3 has a built in
fixed function path for computers that don't support shaders, ES 2 in
the future.)  And handling things like I had VBOs with UNSIGNED_INT
indexes, and had to split some of them up to fit in UNSIGNED_SHORT, etc.

Since you are already on Andriod, that part should be cake.

One nice thing about iOS OpenGL ES development (and maybe this is the
same for andriod, it would be nice to know as a couple people have
talked about porting dim3 to android), is that Apple "extended" OpenGL
ES to include things it didn't have -- like mapping VBOs (something I'd
hate to lose) and FBOs.

[>] Brian