[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Mason Wheeler masonwheeler at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 06:04:29 PDT 2011

To explain, the last time we did this discussion, that was pretty much the only source
of resistance.  The argument could be summed up as "we can't do that because it's
hard to get OpenGL working right on desktop Linux.  3D drivers are very difficult
to get right.  The video card companies don't bother writing them for anything but
Windows,because that's where all the market share is, and even when they do make
thenecessary technical information available, which is pretty darn rare because of
perceived intellectual property concerns, actually writing a correct OpenGL
implementationis very, very difficult for your average Free Software hacker because
it requires specialized skills and advanced math.  So we can't get good drivers, so
dropping support for X11 is equivalent to dropping support for Linux entirely, which
would be a horrible thing!"

Apparently your experience is different from theirs, but that same basic argument was
coming in from multiple people.  I just sorta thought it was silly then, and still do.
Feels like the tail wagging the dog to me.

________________________________
From: Bob Pendleton <bob at pendleton.com>
Subject: Re: [SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Everyone, I know think you know what Mason said, but it is not what he
actually said....

Mason said, drop support for platforms that do not have hardware
graphics acceleration.

He did not say "Drop support for Linux".

Mason did say that he expected a lot of blow back from Linux users
because he beleived that Linux has poor support for hardware
accelerated graphics. That does not imply dropping support for Linux!
Any he was right that he will get a lot of blow back from some Linux
users. But, Linux has great 3D graphics accelerations and has had for
many years.

Perhaps Mason could have said what he meant in a way that is less
likely to cause a fire storm. But, please, read what he actually said,
not what you think he said.