[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Gregory Smith wolfy at treellama.org
Thu Jul 28 05:53:52 PDT 2011

Nicholas,

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Nicholas Vining wrote:

> SDL_TTF worked well, too; I was very happy not having to touch Freetype
> directly. SDL_Image has one major bug with paletted images on 8-bit PNG files
> on OS X (!), which was enough for me to ditch it and use stb_image which does
> the right thing. (I would really like SDL_image to use libraries consistently
> across all platforms, just so I don't have to deal with stuff like this when
> Apple's PNG loader decides to throw a wobbly.)

Aleph One (http://marathon.sourceforge.net/) uses an SDL_Image Framework
built with SDL_IMAGE_USE_COMMON_BACKEND defined, and also includes JPEG
and PNG Frameworks. There are instructions on how we built it here:
http://marathon.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/marathon/frameworks/trunk/README

We do this because stock SDL_Image can't load combined normal/height maps
from PNG files--an operation just as fundamental as loading 8-bit PNGs.

A few people have been bitten by SDL_Image's different and limited
behavior on Mac OS X. I wonder if there's a better way to publicize
SDL_IMAGE_USE_COMMON_BACKEND than by my posting a reply every time someone
says they've already ditched SDL_Image.

I'd suggest offering an official alternate version, with full
functionality for those of us who need it at the cost of the 100s of K
using UIKit saves. But, we can't volunteer to maintain it outside of our
game--we don't even really want to maintain it inside our game :)

Gregory