[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Tim Angus tim at ngus.net
Thu Jul 28 05:44:51 PDT 2011

On 28/07/2011 12:34, Torsten Giebl wrote:
> One function for Rotation + Zooming + Flipping
> and another one to query the size that the final surface will have.
>
> Two functions and you can make every 2D coder happy.
>
> Would that really feel like feature creep ?

To be honest I don't really have any particularly strong feelings on the
matter, but I can understand the resistance in adding this stuff if the
software path is to be maintained. Having affine transformations here
entails breaking the existing assumption that any rendering operations
are pixel perfect and opens a whole can of worms in terms of what to do
with filtering/anti-aliasing.

Having a separate rendering library frees up the responsibility for all
this stuff to someone who cares about the renderer's funcionality and
has the impetus to put the effort in, leaving the job of maintaining the
core and primary functionality of SDL to the existing developers.

It's just as idea; as I say I don't really care either way, providing
SDL continues to be a nice platform abstraction layer.