[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Beoran beoran at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 05:10:56 PDT 2011

I agree with Thorsten and disagree with Tim.
Since SDL 1.3, we have SDL_Renderer being part of SDL.
Now, unless you're arguing that this should be taken
out into a separate libary, rendering is now part of SDL also.
And rightly so, because the renderer wraps important details
about the hardware (or software) in a uniform interface.

And if rendering is in, then let's make it powerful enough to
have at least the features of a 16 bits game console, not like
an 8 bit game console now. SDL as a solid basis for 2d games,
so everyone and their horse doesn't have to reivent the wheel.

Torsten is right, what we need is a affine matrix transform
blitting and coloring function. In Hajime Hoshi's starruby this is
just about 200 lines of C for a software variant. This and this does
all the flipping, projecting to mode 7 style, coloring, rotating,
shearing, etc, in one go. I'll start writing this function right away
if it will be accepted into SDL.