[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Torsten Giebl wizard at syntheticsw.com
Thu Jul 28 04:34:27 PDT 2011

Hello !

>> since the SDL 1.2 days, Alpha Blending, Rotation, Zooming, and Flipping
>> X/Y ( all if possible HW accelerated ! )
>> Features that every old 16 bit console like Genesis, SNES, ... had.
>
> If there is really that much demand for this sort of thing I think it may make sense
> to separate the renderer part of SDL off into its own tertiary library in the same
> way that e.g. SDL_image is done. This could have its own developers which care
> about this use case who would be free to extend it without impingeing on the
>basic functionality. Sticking this kind of stuff into the core of SDL feels like feature creep to me.

One function for Rotation + Zooming + Flipping
and another one to query the size that the final surface will have.

Two functions and you can make every 2D coder happy.

Would that really feel like feature creep ?

The 3D ones will be very short, just doing some matrix stuff,
the 2D one will be a little bit longer, but it will not double the size
of SDL or anything like that.

CU