[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Karl Glatzer karl.glatzer at gmx.de
Thu Jul 28 01:35:35 PDT 2011

I guess i'm a little late for the discussion but here is what i think:

Yes please drop SDL_Compat it's really useless. It can't even compile
the simple SDL_Gears demo. I tried to extend it so it could (even wrote
a stupid email to the mailing list about my ideas for extending it) but
it actually is impossible since the SDL 1.2 API often collides with the
SDL 1.3 API.

I think we should keep updating SDL 1.2 atleast till SDL 1.3 has become
SDL 2.0.

On the SW renderer vs HW renderer/accelaration part:

I don't know much about these things but i see no reason for dropping
the SW renderer. If you don't like it just don't use it!

And if you want to use D3D/OPENGL(ES) then learn it. In my opinion SDL
isn't made to simplify this and thus you have the freedom to use it how
you want.