[SDL] SDL_image on OS X 10.7(Lion), xcode 4.1 Re: Please test the latest 1.2 from Mercurial on Mac OS X...

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 23:56:25 PDT 2011

On 7/27/11, Ryan C. Gordon <icculus at icculus.org> wrote:

>> The Apple sanctioned approach now is to set the SDK to the
>> current/latest
>
> As anyone trying to run the Humble Indie Bundle #3 games on Mac OS X
> 10.5 learned this week: linking against the latest SDK will make your
> app not work on anything older than Snow Leopard, regardless of the APIs
> you call.  :(
>
> (it inserts a new load command in the Mach-O headers that 10.5 doesn't
> understand. It is infuriating, because users have no idea what to do
> with it, and even developers end up googling the error message.)
>
> With that caveat: maybe Apple won't do that to you again!!

Interesting. Any place I can find specific details on this? Do you
know when and how this breakage was introduced? (e.g. was it Xcode 4,
llvm, a OS X system update, 64-bit only, Intel only, etc.) I recall
being able to (mostly) build using the 10.6 SDK for 10.5, with the
most public major roadblock being Apple screwed up the backwards
compatibility linkage for libcrypto. If you didn't need libcrypto, you
were mostly fine.

-Eric
--
Beginning iPhone Games Development