[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Bob Pendleton bob at pendleton.com
Wed Jul 27 23:44:49 PDT 2011

Everyone, I know think you know what Mason said, but it is not what he
actually said....

Mason said, drop support for platforms that do not have hardware
graphics acceleration.

He did not say "Drop support for Linux".

Mason did say that he expected a lot of blow back from Linux users
because he beleived that Linux has poor support for hardware
accelerated graphics. That does not imply dropping support for Linux!
Any he was right that he will get a lot of blow back from some Linux
users. But, Linux has great 3D graphics accelerations and has had for
many years.

Perhaps Mason could have said what he meant in a way that is less
likely to cause a fire storm. But, please, read what he actually said,
not what you think he said.

How about we change it to something like:

Only support platforms that support widely used graphical APIs such as
OpenGL and DirectX?

Lighten up folks!

Bob Pendleton